Church Warden: Mr John Gratton - Tel: 841490
Church Warden: Mrs M Holcombe - Tel: 841443
Rector Revd Lee Brant - Tel: 821812
Clergy: Rev Stan Marriott - Tel: 841058
Secretary: Mrs J Gratton - Tel: 841490
Treasurer: M Holcombe - Tel: 841443
Magazine Editor: Margaret Barron
The History of St Petrock’s Church
The Dedication of this Church in the name of St Petrock’s is known from wills made in 1543 and suggests that it may have been founded in the 6th century by St Petrock himself or by one of his followers. One of the famous missionaries from Wales, he travelled to Somerset, Devon and Cornwall where he founded many churches of which the chief is Bodmin. In ancient calendars his festival is June 4th.
Most of the present building is 15th century work, the NORTH DOORWAY and CHANCEL being about 1450, though parts of the NAVE WALLS may be earlier. Parts of the walls were rebuilt and windows reconstructed late in the 19th century. Some old seating remains.
The SOUTH AISLE with its beautiful pillars, arches and east window, was added early in the 16th century. In the EAST WINDOW a few fragments of ancient glass remain. The TOWER was rebuilt in 1705 by a great benefactor RICHARD ELSWORTH. Much of the ROOF was renewed late in the 19th century but many of the old timbers were re-used, as well as the BOSSES which are worthy of note.
The PORCH has its original roof and the 15th century NORTH DOOR retains earlier ironwork, as well as the original handle and lock. The Tudor SOUTH DOORWAY was blocked up for many years and was uncovered in 1955. The MURAL painting of King David above the doorway dates from about the time of the Reformation and was rediscovered in 1955.
The FONT is of the 15th century and the ancient tiles near it were made at Cleeve Abbey. The rich fan vaulted SCREEN is one of a group made about 1500, probably at Dunster, of which 7 still exist. The stair to the loft above the screen has its original door.
The PULPIT is early 17th century and typical of this area and period. The ALTAR CANDLESTICKS are English, 19th century and the CROSS was added in 1955. PISCINAS for 2 ALTARS remain in the walls.
The LECTERN was designed and made locally in the parish in 1955. The NAVE wrought iron electric light fittings were also made locally. The CHURCHYARD CROSS still has its 15th century base and shaft. There is a PEAL of EIGHT BELLS.